internetworkers - Re: Database inquiry

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael Czeiszperger" <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Database inquiry
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 01:21:15 -0000

Joe Komenda <joe AT komejo.com> said:
> The point above is moot if you have decent hosting company;
> they should have a firewall and do updates regularly, just
> like with any other platform. You can disregard this quibbling
> entirely for your purposes.

This is really important, as I haven't found many inexpensive hosting
companies that use firewalls, and no web server/os combination is impervious
to attack.

> Chris's blurb about speed is also irrelevant to your needs.
> The processor and memory of your hosting company server, bandwidth,
> and how many virtual servers they're running on your machine will
> have the biggest impact on speed.

My business is in selling software to test web server performance and can
verify that this is true. The other little secret is that page design has the
most impact on performance from the user's perspective. You wouldn't
believe how many of my prospective customers have sites with several HUNDRED
images on the main page, with a combined size in the multiple megabytes, who
are wondering why their performance is slow. :-) When you're trying to push a
megabyte or more through a 56K modem there's not anything you can do with a
web server to improve performance.

As for what web server or application to server, that's best left until you
spec out your requirements. From my point of view it doesn't matter, as I
test 'em all, but if you want raw speed with static images, TUX is the
fastest. It builds the HTTP request handlers directly into the kernel.

--
Michael Czeiszperger
Web Performance Inc.