internetworkers - RE: Database inquiry

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Chris Owens" <internetworkers_box AT reality-v2-dev.com>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Database inquiry
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:09:31 -0400

Hi Mary Beth,
If it turns out that the hosting company is using Unix over
Win2k/2000, I'd consider another solution instead of ASP/Access. There
is ChiliSoft's ASP which runs on various platforms, but you would need
to check if they're running it, or if they would. Even if they
are/would, I'd do a bit of research into it first, I haven't heard too
many good comparisons between it and actual ASP (Microsoft's). Has
anyone else had good experience with this? PHP might be a good
alternative dependent on your situation.
As for the database, you might want to get some certainty on the
platform it's going to sit on before making too many decisions.
I'd wholeheartedly recommend a PC, Win2k at that, but then as
everyone on the list knows by now, I'm a bit biased...

Chris Owens
chris.owens AT reality-v2.com
919.345.4339 mobile