internetworkers - Re: Database inquiry

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Chris Owens" <internetworkers_box AT reality-v2-dev.com>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Database inquiry
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:03:23 -0400

Ok, ya got me on volume with the Netcraft crap (I was hoping it wouldn't
come up...). Unfortunately Netcraft doesn't take into consideration
home users and the like. Usually the big boys have been found with
other tools though:

Fortune 1000:
47% IIS
24% Netscape
18% Apache
http://entmag.com/displayarticle.asp?ID=2200145244PM

It may be true that you hear more about IIS security holes, but
then that's all relative isn't it? I mean you tend to hear about things
such as Midway's woes, but not about JimBob's tackle shop.

I agree with Joe on the security issue though, any decent hosting shop
will stay current with the security fixes regardless of platform.

My irrelevant point regarding speed was just one that I threw out to
counter the relentless diatribe that comes from zealots. The speed
thing, while true, was merely a dig in response to the ludicrous
propaganda seeded earlier. Apache forks processes which is more resource
intensive than the mechanism used by IIS. Of course, Apache is changing
for its next release though...

My original point was that she should take everything into consideration
given her own situation. Usually with zealots running amuck you don't
get any sort of objectivity. As I recall, even though Apache is free,
you need to buy the modules for such features as SNMP. Also, it's SSL
capabilities are limited. There is a module that you can use for free
for noncommercial purposes though.

Ramp up time and things like maintainability should also be considered
since Apaches doesn't have a GUI yet (once again it's been a while since
I looked at it and it may have gained some ground since then)..

If you do determine the IIS/ASP route is the way to go, there's an
endless supply of resources, here are a few:

www.15seconds.com
www.asptoday.com
www.4guysfromrolla.com
And there's tons more.

Regardless of "my web server's better than yours..." taunts and threads,
Mary Beth should check out what her hosting provider provides and
determine the best solution for her company holistically rather than
pseudo-religiously... Things like learning curves and support costs
should also be considered.

Chris