internetworkers - Re: Database inquiry

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael Hayes" <mike AT mphiles.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Database inquiry
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:20:50 -0400

Here are some quick answers to your questions. I'll point to some good info
on the web so you can dig deeper if you decide to...

"I know we need some sort of middleware, but is it better to stick with MS
and use the Access database along with some ASP, or should we start from
ground zero?"

I think most would agree that the answer is yet, mostly because Access isn't
suited for the web.

"Should my job as the sole Internet person have a Mac or a PC, or will that
matter?"

Maybe both, for testing your site on the two major desktop platforms...but I
would go with what you know if you can't have 5 pc's on your desk at once
(you out there Joe K? ;-). You should be able to administer the server with
either if it's Unix.

"would a hosting company provide that, or would we have to move our server
in-house?"

There are lots of hosting companies with lots of server flavors. It depends
on your hosting... In house means that you'll most likely need a system
administrator to ensure that your server doesn't get owned by the latest 13
year-old script-kiddie on the block.

"And if they have Unix servers, does that eliminate using the whole
Access/ASP option if they continue to host our site?"

Probably, but think "ground zero." You'll be better off checking out the
open source software out there such as Apache/PHP/MySQL (a great web
server/scripting language/database trio...and they run on several
platforms). It doesn't take most sites long to outgrow an access database,
not to mention the performance hit. Also, you don't have to purchase a
license for any of the software. :-)

Apache:
www.apache.org

PHP