internetworkers - Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 12:20:01 -0400

on Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:55:33PM -0400, Chris Owens wrote:
> So, your saying that if my company is successful enough my reward is
> litigation? People do have the option of acquiring Linux, buying a Mac
> or whatever they want.

No, he's saying that if your company is successful and then goes on to
protect its success through illegal means the reward is litigation. Did
you even read his message before typing out this reply?

What is so difficult about this, anyway? Microsoft is a monopoly - the
original court has found this, and the appeals court has upheld it. They
have used means specifically forbidden to those with monopoly power in
order to protect that monopoly, and the end result has been harm to the
consumer and companies in other markets - with a promise of more.

Whether you want a plastic jesus on your desktop, or whether you think
Microsoft software is poorly written, insecure, and the result of
pandering to the worst forms of human stupidity and laziness is
utterly irrelevant. What matters here is that they broke the laws of
this land (and, as it turns out, may be set to break those of the EU)
and the question is whether and how they should be punished.

Steve,
growing tired of the sophistry of Microsoft supporters