internetworkers - Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 22:51:50 -0400

Chris Owens wrote:

<snip>
> However, I believe that they, like any other manufacture, should be able
> to dictate what their product is and looks like when it hits the
> consumer's hands.
<snip>

Ah, yes, like you could have any color you wanted if you bought one of
the original Ford automobiles -- as long as you wanted black. Of course,
this sad state of affairs changed as soon as there was competition.....

Unfortunately, Gates & Co won't see competition for quite some time,
never if they have anything to say about it. I would dearly love to have
a commonly used OS that took care of operating my system and let me
choose and install my own word processor, spreadsheet program, browser,
e-mail client, multimedia player, etc., etc. -- without forcing me to
leap through flaming hoops to get rid of software that I don't want
sucking up space on my hard drive. To be honest, I was hoping that
Microsoft would be split into two separate companies along the OS and
software divide.

--
"B"ing mobile