internetworkers - Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 08:09:30 -0400

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 04:34:40AM -0000, Michael Czeiszperger spoke thusly:
> Do you have documentation on the "flaming hoop"? Unfortunately I have to
> keep
> Windows via VMWare loaded to run Act and Quicken, and the *#&(@ C: drive is

Ha! Come to this Thursdays' TriLUG meeting and see me run Quicken
under WINE. I only sue VMWare to test my ODBC bridge to access.

If I had a copy of Act I'd try it for you.

> filled with a bunch of crap I can't get rid of, like NetMeeting, Outlook,
> etc. The programs don't show up in Add/Remove Programs, and simply trying

Tell me about it. Although on my 98 installs, a lot of that shows up
under add/remove, but under the name "Internet Explorer" - since it's
all part of that beastly package.

The thing that gets to me, mostly, is that you cannot download an
update to the OS without using their browser now. I use Netscape on
Linux, and am at work. I need a big-ass patch to 98 for my home
machine. Can I download it? Nope - getting Windows updates requires
the Windows Update program, which uses - yep, you guessed it, IE. And
the *FIRST* question IE asks is "IE isn't your default browser. Do you
want me to fix that?"

And they re-ask that question every time you update IE, even if you
previously told it not to ask you any more....

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- New email : alchemist AT darkcanvas.com --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --
-- ICQ: 4855069 AIM: ksonney --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
-- Berkley Breathed, 2001