internetworkers - Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Chris Owens" <internetworkers_box AT reality-v2-dev.com>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:13:29 -0400

Encouraged or discouraged, isn't that speculation and a bit
irrelevant? Regardless of whether the programmer elects to create
cross-platform code (which is his choice in this scenario or when using
Java) or take advantage of the increased ROI a designated platform can
give, the CLR can be ported to other platforms as the JVM is currently.

I would think that it would hard to cost justify spending
additional hours developing something cross-platform if it will
demonstrably save time and effort by utilizing a feature particular to
the intended environment. This is only relevant if the app is never
intended to be deployed on multiple platforms though... I'd rather have
the ability there and easily accessible even if I never use it.

It is an unfortunate scene that I am regularly faced with as
anti-MS'ers proselytize the perils of using anything MS as a religious
endeavor, rather than exercise a technology-agnostic approach and
determine the best tool/platform for the job based on ROI and speed to
market.

Chris Owens
chris.owens AT reality-v2.com
919.345.4339 mobile