internetworkers - Re: bedside reading

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steve Burnett <sburnett AT webslingerz.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bedside reading
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:29:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Thomas A. Beckett wrote:

> Well, seeing as I can't sleep tonight, I have turned to the pile of
> reading on my bedside table for distraction. Not that I have any
> current shortage of reading material, but I wonder what my fellow
> InterNetWorkers are reading. Pray tell what books you've got by your
> bed or in your beach bag, and what you find worthwhile?

Well, in and around my marriage, my job, my writing books, and focusing on
trying to get better at playing Chapman Stick, I haven't had as much
time for reading as I'd like. However, having my two recent books & my
last musical project finish/finish/go into hiatus respectively has given
me some reading time.

recent:
Glenn Searfoss's _Skulls and Bones_ - a layman's guide to the osteology of
North American mammals. Sort of a biogeek's variation on the _The Way
Things Work_: given a bone of an animal, why is it shaped this way, what
purpose does its shape serve for the animal?

several of the Nero Wolfe detective novels by Rex Stout (reread, now I'm
hungry a lot :) )

several of the Quiller espionage novels by Adam Hall (reread, starting to
organize notes for an online codex of the sequence)

Georgano's _The American Automobile: A Centenary_ - researching classic
professional cars.

Alterman, et al., _Creatures of the Dark: the Nocturnal Prosimians_ -
focusing on the nocturnal lemurs of Madagascar, so I can give tours at
the Duke University Primate Center better (volunteer work).

the usual for me stack of Linux/UNIX admin & specialty books & periodicals

upcoming:
Don Delillo, _Underworld_ - I'm finally getting to this last major novel
by a fellow who I loosely refer to as America's answer to Umberto Eco.

Wyeth's _That Devil Forrest_ - thought I should get around to reading the
standard biography on my (n-great) uncle Nathan Bedford Forrest. Wyeth
apparently took a "warts & all" approach, which is good, because a
sugar-coated version of Forrest's life would be a much shorter book.

Jim Carlton's muckraking book on Apple Computer - Steve Champeon loaned it
to me stating it'd raise my blood pressure. :) I've had this for a while,
and haven't forgotten it's not mine to keep.

regards,
Steve Burnett
--
onNow: Paul Oakenfold, _Tranceport_
Steve Burnett Admin, webslingerZ sburnett AT webslingerz.com