homestead - Re: [Homestead] Not so fast

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Not so fast
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:12:21 -0500

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 6:55 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote in reply to
m:

>> Me:I don't think that has a whole lot to do with whether a person has
>> political values that are progressive.
>
> That has not been my observation.

And therein, perhaps, lies the answer.

> Of course, here we run into the Boolean expressions, the so called 'truth
> tables' of logic.   I'm reminded of the remonstrations we are hearing over
> the recent Arizona immigrant law.   While it is true that every Hispanic is
> not an illegal alien, by far and away most illegal aliens are Hispanic.

That's probably true in Arizona, but there are plenty of East
Europeans, Irish, and Chinese here illegally. In Arizona and the rest
of the Southwest, there are also plenty of Hispanics and Indians whose
ancestors have been within the borders of the US for a lot longer than
there has been a United States.

> There seems to be something part and parcel about the "progressive" mindset
> that allows for dismissing the importance of one's word.  Probably most
> progressives are in possession of a personal ethic that would not allow for
> it
> anyway.

Maybe we just have more progressives in these parts, and thus a bigger
sample of humanity to draw from, but that has not been my experience.

Marie