homestead - Re: [Homestead] Not so fast

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Not so fast
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:29:18 EDT

> >That's probably true in Arizona [Hispanic illegal imigrants]

As far north and east as here in NE Tennessee we get the spillover from
Florida, Texas, and Arizona. Actually we get the spillover from Georgia who
gets the spill over from those places. Of course there's no way for me to
know who's legal or illegal so many of the other nationalities I run into I'm
guessing (just guessing) are legal. Of the deportations I know and know of
all have been Hispanic.

I've wondered what is happening in other parts of the country, but that
tide here has receded conciderably. At the neap we had a Hispanic radio
station, Spanish language programs on several other stations, a large number
of
'tiendas' (stores specializing in Hispanic food and merchandise), two Spanish
language periodicals, large Hispanic sections in all the grocery stores, 'se
habla' signs in most businesses, and it was a regular thing to be chatting
with people in Spanish on almost every excursion from the farm.

Now all that is largely gone coinciding with the recession. Too bad. Of
all the groups of people who have sojourned here among us in these remote
mountains, I have definately preferred the Hispanics.

</HTML>