homestead - Re: [Homestead] Challenge

  • From: "wixlet AT gmail.com" <wixlet AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Challenge
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:09:44 -0500

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:

> The parents screwed up.  They gambled that they wouldn't need insurance for
> the kids right away and waited to get the new child health insurance.

Insurers won't write a policy for a baby before it is born, so they
could not have covered the infant prior to being born alive. If this
defect was discovered within a specific period after birth (and this
period varies according to several factors, not least of which is the
infant's state of residence), it might still have been eligible for
coverage - there is usually a grace period, provided that the mother
is somehow insured (apparently not the case here?), for newborns. I
haven't been following the story but I do have some general knowledge
on this topic for my locality.

wen