homestead - Re: [Homestead] Challenge

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Challenge
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:33:52 -0700

I've been looking at the French system because it has done a couple of things I like and think we'd be well advised to copy. It has brought paperwork and billing into the 21st century and thus cut costs to doctors WAY down. I know our doctor is beginning to use a level of their computerized systems (almost all notes directly on the computer and all prescriptions sent electronically directly to the pharmacy) but has yet to update the medical records system they use.

However, there are a lot of people (thousands) not covered by the French plans (there are about 3 you have to choose from) AND it is not 100% coverage. People have to buy their own supplemental or pay anywhere from 20-40% as co-pays.

And I suppose you could say that society provides the healthcare in Japan. Employers and employees pay the fees, out of each paycheck, for themselves and the poor. And you do have a co-pay although they have a monthly out-of-pocket max.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida AT comcast.net>

In Canada or France or GB or Japan this would not be an issue, it
would not come up. Health care is like fire protection or police,
it's something the society does.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net