homestead - [Homestead] Cold Pack Deer

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cold Pack Deer
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:11:36 -0500

Hey all,

Cold packing deer meat this weekend. I've been stuck inside this morning
with a batch and going to do another later in the day. I've frozen a lot of
meat, also.

I've found a new way to hunt. Deer have been feeding on the cover crops and
pasture I've planted since last spring. Have a friend that really just likes
to hunt deer. He'll go out in the rain and cold, no problem. This is his
main hobby, so he's got time for it. (Time for hunting, and ambition to go
out in the rain and cold are what I lack.)

Deer have been eating clover, oats and peas last spring, peas and sorghum
sudan all summer and now rye and clover. It's not that hard for him to shoot
a deer. He got me two, he wanted the back strap off one and the antlers off
the other. I'll probably throw in a jar or two of deer meat. I'm cold
packing the neck meat, shoulder and hanches off of one of them. The rest
went in the freezer. Should get 14 quarts and 7 pint jars of deer meat.
Great addition to the meat supply here.

Rob - Va