homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold Pack Deer

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold Pack Deer
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 19:49:49 -0500

I've never heard that term, for venison, tomatoes or anything...I'm still not sure what you are doing...
No, I've never canned meat. You recall how I am about pressure cookers/canners...LOL
So, you are just cutting up the meat, uncooked, packing it into jars, and pressure canning it/cooking it in the jar?

Robert Walton wrote:

I hate to ask, this feels like one of those dumb questions, but what do
you mean by "cold packing"?

As opposed to hot packing, you pack the jars with raw meat. Just like cold
packing tomatoes vs. hot pack.

Have you had canned meat? It's a great fast food. Grab a jar, heat it up
while you boil some potatoes and voila! ....supper.

I've got the last canner load of pints that will be done in 15 mins.

Rob - Va