homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold Pack Deer

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold Pack Deer
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 21:22:06 -0500

Hi Bev

How's the job going?

A while back, I put up scores of pints of beef, deer, etc. once I ran out of
room in the freezer. Canned meat makes a quick meal. I raw packed (cold
packed) most of the meat I put up, partly because I didn't have the space to
keep it properly while I cooked it bit by bit. Honestly, part of the reason
I raw packed was because I was too lazy to take the extra step. Putting the
meat up after it's been browned makes a nicer product, less shrinkage, nice
broth cover...

The first time I opened one of my jars I was surprised to find that meat
canned plain doesn't smell real yummy. Seasoned up, though, it's good
stuff.

Cathy