homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tool question

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tool question
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:51:25 -0800

OMG, surely you jest, Chris. You're a guy, you have to have at least one of every tool made <g>

Between now and Christmas, Sears will have absolutely every tool you could ever possibly want on sale!

DH wants a new cordless drill (24v, 1/2") for Christmas, so I'll be doing some investigation on them. He had a Craftsman but he wore it out. They are made by Ryobi now, so don't know how they are rated. I've read that Panasonic makes one that is really highly rated. Of course, Mikita is always rated a good value drill. So many choices, so little time <g>

Lynda
--"I'm fascinated by the hard line you're drawing over religion -- It gets
used too much, as an excuse, a fall guy, a weapon, a con. A lot of people,
maybe most, don't mean it except when it suits them." Dallas
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Clarke" <hstead AT nc.rr.com>

Folks,

Over the years I have been very fortunate that I had a neighbor who a) had
every tool known to man and b) was willing to lend them to me whenever I
needed. This was great in that I never needed to buy any tools. This
was also horrible in that I never needed to buy any tools.

I am now getting new tools ONLY when I need them. For example, I purchased
a new cordless drill about two months ago. It has been one of the best
purchases I have ever made. Now, I need some advice about some other hand
tools.

I am looking to get a Craftsman socket set. Now, I already have a
beautiful 3/8" wrachet. Now, a couple of questions. Why would you need
1/4" or 1/2" sockets? You can get a socket for about any size (even 4 or 5
mm) in 3/8... Would it be since it is smaller in physical size, so you
might be able to get into smaller areas to work?

I was thinking of getting 6 point sockets... yes, some of the nuts I have
to work on might be slightly striped, but do you really need both 6 point
and 12 point?

Would it make sense to get impact sockets? They are slightly more
expensive, but I'd imagine that they are more rugged than non-impact
sockets. Does it matter since Sears will replace them if I break them.

What about wrenches? Why would I really need wrenches when I can get a
socket on them?

From years of have lots of crappy tools, I have come to the conclusion that
quality matters. I have a Fiskars ax that is my best friend... Any
advice from the congiscenti (Don, et al.) and anyone else, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Apex, NC