homestead - [Homestead] green (very green) potatoes

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] green (very green) potatoes
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:35:57 -0500

The garden was for the most part dismal this year thanks to half the things I like to grow having neither snorkels nor down comforters, but the potatoes went for it, and potatoes I got!

But.....they were dug at the beginning of Oct, usual for here. Also as usual, I put them out on large pieces of lobster wire supported on sawhorses to dry and cure in a near-dark shed, open to light only under the rafters, but since those areas are screened, in the fall/winter/spring not much light gets in there. When the door to that shed is closed there's not really enough light to see at all. I have successfully used that shed for over 20 years now.

The next day I left for a month; when I got back I went out to get the potatoes to put in the root cellar and was astounded to see green, green potatoes. They weren't green in spots, but an even, dark green all the way through, even the big bakers, and the undersides were as green as the tops. So I have 3 bushels of green-as-grass German fingerlings and Katahdins. Curiously enough, the LaSodas (red) and Cowhorns (blue) had not a smidge of green anywhere; unfortunately I have only about a bushel and a half of them, mostly LaSodas.
No sign that the door had been open and it very unlikely that anyone would be down there anyway--my neighbor's 5 huge Mastiffs have taken on the lower part of my property as part of their territory and even bark at me until I speak to them; even I, not afraid of dogs, have a high degree of respect for that gang and a person they didn't know would have to be an absolute fool to brook them.

Does anyone have a clue why all the 'white' potatoes have gone green? Think they are fit to save for seed potatoes next year?

SJ