homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tool question

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tool question
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 19:24:47 -0600

> Now, a couple of questions. Why would you need
> 1/4" or 1/2" sockets? You can get a socket for about any size (even 4 or
> 5 mm) in 3/8... Would it be since it is smaller in physical size,
> so you might be able to get into smaller areas to work?

It depends. For most applications a 3/8 drive is the better choice.
Smaller bolts, 7/16 and down do well with 1/4 drive. Bigger stuff, 5/8 and
above do well with 1/2 drive.

My suggestion is to go to Sears and buy whatever set they have on sale for
around $100. That will give you a complete selection of 1/4 and 3/8 in inch
and metric. Then if you move into big stuff get a 1/2 drive set.

I have 1/4, 3/8. and a few 1/2 drive stuff with me. The 1/2 stuff is good
for bigger thins but I have replaced the clutch in my pickup and rebuilt the
brakes on a case Backhoe with only the 3/8 stuff. I would say that I use 3/8
over 80% of the time, 1/4 for most of the remainder and 1/2 rarely.

I also have some 3/4 drive sockets for the really big stuff but they are in
storage.

> I was thinking of getting 6 point sockets... yes, some of the nuts I
> have to work on might be slightly striped, but do you really need both 6
> point and 12 point?

Get 12 point then 6 point as needed. I have mostly 12 point with a few 6
point. Most of the 6 point sockets I have were needed to get the flywheel
bolts off a Corvair.

> What about wrenches? Why would I really need wrenches when I can get a
> socket on them?

Yes. There are many places where you cannot get a socket no matter how many
extensions or universal joints you have. Sometimes only an open end wrench
will get in and some time nothing will. Start with a good combination set
in inch and metric. Combination wrenches have an open end at one end and a
box end at the other. Then get a set of box end wrenches. I use the
wrenches as much as the socket set.

Just yesterday I had a ball joint on the backhoe with only two flats and the
only thing that would get in there was a short pair of pliers.

>From years of have lots of crappy tools, I have come to the conclusion
> that quality matters. I have a Fiskars ax that is my best friend...
> Any advice from the congiscenti (Don, et al.) and anyone else, would be
> greatly appreciated.

Buy quality, buy quality, buy quality. These are things that you will have
for years so get the best you can afford. Craftsman are good and the
guarantee is unbeatable. Snap-On is much better with the same guarantee but
there is always a Sears nearby but where is the Snap-On truck? I have a
broken Snap-On 1/2 breaker bar but I never can find a Snap-On truck when I
have the bar with me. A year ago I broke a Craftsman 3/8 breaker bar, the
next trip to town had the tool replaced. Cheap tools from Harbor Freight
have their uses for bigger tools that you do not use that often but there is
little more frustrating that to have a tool break in the middle of something
important.

Like I say, look for what Sears has on sale for around $100 for a very good
start.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00937154000P?adCell=W3

Also get a floor jack and jack stands. Do not get under a car that is not
supported by jack stands.

I have with me and consider indispensible a complete set of tools. They are
in a very heavy clam shell tool chest measuring 18 by 12 by 20. I have box
end and combination wrenches in inch and metric, regular and deep sockets in
inch and metric in 3/8 and 1/4 drive, universal drive 3/8 sockets,
screwdrivers, Cresent wrenches, pliers, and a bunch of other stuff. As I
mentioned I have replaced the clutch in my pickup, rebuilt Case backhoe
brakes, split tractors, pulled apart engines with just those tools.

Here are the boxes I have
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/portable/images/small%20boxes.jpg

The box at the top is the one just described, The green bag is electrical
tools, and the gray box was trailer specific tools but is now an overflow.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/portable/images/portable%20tool%20bo
x.jpg
The box above contains tools used for hpme repair type projects.

Don Bowen KI6DIU
New ruralize pages, follow the link off http://www.ruralize.com