homestead - [Homestead] Tool question

  • From: "Chris Clarke" <hstead AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tool question
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 19:43:55 -0500

Folks,

Over the years I have been very fortunate that I had a neighbor who a) had every tool known to man and b) was willing to lend them to me whenever I needed. This was great in that I never needed to buy any tools. This was also horrible in that I never needed to buy any tools.

I am now getting new tools ONLY when I need them. For example, I purchased a new cordless drill about two months ago. It has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. Now, I need some advice about some other hand tools.

I am looking to get a Craftsman socket set. Now, I already have a beautiful 3/8" wrachet. Now, a couple of questions. Why would you need 1/4" or 1/2" sockets? You can get a socket for about any size (even 4 or 5 mm) in 3/8... Would it be since it is smaller in physical size, so you might be able to get into smaller areas to work?

I was thinking of getting 6 point sockets... yes, some of the nuts I have to work on might be slightly striped, but do you really need both 6 point and 12 point?

Would it make sense to get impact sockets? They are slightly more expensive, but I'd imagine that they are more rugged than non-impact sockets. Does it matter since Sears will replace them if I break them.

What about wrenches? Why would I really need wrenches when I can get a socket on them?

From years of have lots of crappy tools, I have come to the conclusion that
quality matters. I have a Fiskars ax that is my best friend... Any advice from the congiscenti (Don, et al.) and anyone else, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Apex, NC