homestead - Re: [Homestead] squash bugs was Re: Irony

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] squash bugs was Re: Irony
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:45:45 -0400

That's one way to confuse them; put them in with other plants. There are also a lot of flowers that are said to repel them...marigolds, bee balm, borage, and others I can't remember. I planted a lot of flowers with the squash. The woodchucks gnawed at a lot of mine, which opened them up to the slugs. The only thing they didn't touch were the little Baby Boo pumpkins (decorative), so I have a lot of those. Too bad they aren't very edible.

I've purposely let the grass and weeds grow to hide the squash from the woodchucks (that's my story and I'm sticking to it), and I haven't wanted to make paths in to the plants for the woodchucks to follow, so I won't really know what I have until frost kills the vines (and weeds). The vines themselves are healthy.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gil White" <gil.white AT xplornet.com>