homestead - Re: [Homestead] squash bugs was Re: Irony

  • From: Gil White <gil.white AT xplornet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] squash bugs was Re: Irony
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:14:15 +0000 (GMT)

I must have missed that post. How do I go about confusing the little bleepers?

This is the first year that I've ever seen a squash bug ( cucumber beetles,
potato beetles, hornworms, aphids - yes, never a squash bug).

In real terms I've probably done more damage knocking fruit off the vines
then they have munching the leaves, but as the weather cools they've started
trying to gnaw through the skins of some of them.

Hardly scientific but so far they seem to prefer the variety called "Sweet
Dumpling" followed by "Acorn". I'm not sure if they haven't found the
Butternut yet amongst the tomato vines or they naturally stay away from those.

Gil