homestead - Re: [Homestead] Where are the protesters?

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Where are the protesters?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:01:46 -0700 (PDT)

________________________________
From: Lynn Wigglesworth lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com

<<<<<< All great civilizations eventually fall from corruption and apathy
within. What I
don't understand is, with so many people fearing communism, why are we
allowing ourselves to become a wholly-owned subsidiary of China? >>>>>>>>>>>

I think it is a "slight of hand" type move.  The current fear shouldn't be of
communism.
It should be of fascism, the merger of state and corporations.  If they can
keep us focused on the word communism, we will miss the signs and symptoms
and implications of fascism.

As to China, I wish I could remember from a decade ago which Mises.org
article I read that helps explain some of the psychology behind the way the
masses tend the make their purchasing decisions.

Basically, it comes down to this.  Throughout history, people for the most
part tend to acquire the best quality, but at prices they can afford.  They
want and covet the better quality stuff, but if they can't afford it, they
wind up sacrificing quality, UNLESS they have the discipline to save up for
better quality.

Discipline of the masses to save over the last couple of decades is pretty
much unheard of in this country.    Need proof?  Just look at credit card
debt and home equity loans to purchase consumer goods.  With all the
defaults, their purchasing power (via credit) has been drastically reduced.
their purchasing power via debasing the USDollar is what forced so many to
get so deep into debt.  They are now forced to either sacrifice quality or do
without, or steal.

Let's say you are a low to minimum wage earner, and you go to Walmart and you
see an electric cake mixer made in the USA for $100, and one made in China
for $19 (if you even looked at the package to see country of manufacturing
origin).  You open the package and you can see that the blades on the one
made in China obviously are thinner.  You can see that the motor isn't as
heavy - but it will still stir up cake mix............ you choose the one for
$19.  In your mind you didn't spend $19, you saved $81.

You aren't thinking about communism or fascism.

You aren't thinking about the effect that your decision to purchase a foreign
goods is a huge factor in keeping US jobs overseas.

You don't know that the reason you have to purchase a foreign good instead of
a Made in USA good is because your government has betrayed you by debasing
the currency over and over and over.

You aren't thinking about and probably don't even know that the IMF just did
a middle of the night coup d'tat on the world's currencies and the impact
this is going to have on future prices of goods.  (Another email in a bit on
this.)

Heck, you might not even know how far away it is to drive to or fly to New
York City, let alone China.  (Sounds ridiculous?  It isn't.  You can't
imagine how many young people I've met who think NYC is a 2-3 hour drive from
Miami, and didn't know that hamburer is ground up beef.  Some of the teenage
kids I've met never had a homecooked meal - meals come from McD's or from a
tv dinner box...)

And on and on.

All you are thinking about is you've always wanted an electric cake mixer (or
need to replace your broken one), and that you can't afford the more
expensive one because your credit card doesn't have that much available
credit limit left.

Unless, of course, your credit card isn't maxed out, then you might make a
different decision, even if you can't afford it.

Under Hitler, the people were forbidden to purchase products from the Jewish
merchants, in an attempt to force the masses to purchase higher priced
cheaper quality products from German merchants.  But, the masses knew that
Jewish people had the best quality at better prices.  So they broke Hitler's
decrees and bought from them anyway whenever they could.  Even Hitler himself
purchased from the Jewish merchants.  The Jewish merchants risked selling to
the masses, even though they were risking their own freedom and lives.  And
the masses risked going to jail.  Hitler solved the Jewish merchant
problem,,, thru his extermination program.  Did the Jewish merchant fully
understand that risk of the gas chamber when he made the sale?  Did the
German consumer understand he risked getting those merchants killed?

(Of course a lot more was going on back then, but this is something a lot of
people don't know.)

A US example would be the shift to purchasing Made in Japan cars instead of
USA cars.  Were people thinking about shifting jobs overseas when they
started this?  Nah, it was a just a good quality product at a lower price
type decision.  (Eventually somebody figured it out, and some Japanese cars
are now made in USA....)

The uneven parallel here is that the US consumer is purchasing imported
goods, at the risk of destroying our own economy ..... unwittingly.  They see
the bumper stickers "buy USA" but they don't understand why when they are
over at Walmart.   Does the US consumer fully understand the impact of his
purchase of Made in China?  Or the reason our government debased the currency
which is what is forcing the decision to buy Made in China in the first
place?

I'd place my bets that 95% of the US population doesn't.

They don't make the connection.

They do hear government leaders on brainwash-vision blame the Chinese for
manipulating their currency.............blame it all on the Chinese.

<<<....why are we allowing ourselves to become a wholly-owned subsidiary of
China?>>>

Because the masses have no concept of currency devaluation, the true cause
and risk of inflation, the impact of their purchasing decisions, living
within their means, staying on top of government overspending and the risk of
making the government "take care of everything cradle to grave".... and they
are brainwashed by the b.s. on TV.