homestead - [Homestead] Stray animals

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Stray animals
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 23:35:10 -0400

I hate when people choose my road to drop off their unwanted pets.
I had a tom cat show up a week or so ago. I decided to give him a chance and
fed him. He chased my 3 cats off and fought with them if they came up in the
yard. I caught him in the brooder with the broilers I'm growing a few days
ago. That should have been the limit, but I ran him off. This morning, I
heard a chick crying off in the woods. Went to investigate and found him
over a little 3 week old pullet chick. Luckily, the chick was not too
harmed. I rescued her and got out my shotgun.

I had several dogs show up this summer, but they all moved on except for
one. He's my new beagle. Gets on OK with the animals and guards the back
doorstep at night. His neck has scars from a chain that was too tight and
he's not so friendly, but he and I have got on OK. It was meant for me to
give him a good human experience, I guess.

Anyway, that's my rant. Those people that dump off their animals are just
downright evil, though.

Rob - Va