homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teaching young children homesteading skills

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teaching young children homesteading skills
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 02:22:06 -0400

I have to share and brag...
My daughter is 24 and has been out on her own for 6 years, since she moved away for college. She's married, and has given me a wonderful granddaughter, and if you know me at all, you know I live for my Jordan.
Kate was about 14 when we moved here, and she did not want to leave the city. Still, she lives in town, 5 minutes or less from everything. However, some homesteading skills did sink in. Not only does she love animals and works as a vet tech, but she is pretty darn good at fixing things. Tonight, she called to get advice on how to unstop a toilet and bathtub drain. She had plunged to no avail. After Skyguy told her how the toilet worked, she was able to use a product called zip it to unclog the bathtub drain and then she was able to finally fix and unclog the toilet. Most girls her age would have either called their hubbies, the apartment maintenance man, or a plumber, but my kid fixed it herself. I am very proud of her. She is not afraid to get dirty and jump right in to try any job. I guess she got that quality from cleaning the chicken coop and raising the goats.
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. She made do.

wixlet AT gmail.com wrote:
Thanks, Bev, for the welcome and reply, and James, for your thoughts.
Let me see if I can better-explain my motivation for asking my
question without getting too long-winded.

--
"Never expect magic from no where" Baringo (Kenyan) working motto
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/