homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teaching young children homesteading skills

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teaching young children homesteading skills
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:36:31 -0800

Wellll, at least two of the "homeschooling" folks are unschooling and don't really set out to use books, curriculum, etc. Life happens and children learn from life. Sooo, the skills they would need/learn they would learn from doing. The kidlets didn't learn how to garden or cook or bake or can or, or, or from books. They learned by watching adults and then helping adults and asking questions.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

----- Original Message ----- From: <wixlet AT gmail.com>

Does anyone have any books, periodicals, or sites to recommend for
teaching practical foundation/basic homesteading skills to young
children (3~4 years and up)? I suspect that there are homeschoolers
on the list who may know of existing curricula that is well-suited for
this topic or that might be easily adapted.

I've been on the list a few months, and I haven't seen this discussed
yet. I'm sure that there are helpful items somewhere in the archive,
which I haven't yet searched/browsed (but will).