homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teaching young children homesteading skills

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teaching young children homesteading skills
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:40:47 EDT

Wen,

I gave myself 24 hours before I commented on this so I could think about
what I wanted to offer. This sort of topic can become a sticky wicket and I
wanted to see if I had anything to offer without stepping into that.

> >Right, but the unschooling model doesn't really apply here

For my comment to make any sense, I have to bring up that unschooling isn't
a model (nor a method, nor a strategy). As a comparison, some people don't
vaccinate their children. Would we view their refraining from vaccinations
as a 'model' for vaccinating?

>> I suspect
> that what I'm looking for doesn't currently exist, which isn't a big

Having said that then, my comment would be that not only does it currently
not exist, from a radical unschooler's point of view, it can never exist.

Curriculum is part and parcel of the industrial/government paradigm. It is
specifically employed as a basis for managing (limiting) learning to make
the person better fitted for industrial life, bureaucracy, government and
military service, etc. The type of orientation and approach that is needed
on
a subsistence homestead is quite different from that.

So can you reduce the one to the other? I very much misdoubt it.

I am basing what I'm saying on raising a homestead full of children who
were, in fact, born right here on the homestead. They have never been
exposed
to schooling or curriculum in any way. Yet all are possessed of a complete
set of skills and knowledge to homestead on their own should they choose to
do so.

So I if I were to write a curriculum to impart the skills and knowledge
needed on a homestead, what would I write? I wouldn't even attempt it.

James