homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teaching young children homesteading skills

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teaching young children homesteading skills
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:36:47 -0400

Wen, welcome to the list...just ignore(or join in if you are brave!) our
little sideline political banter. I'm glad you decided to jump in and
ask a question, and I hope you will continue to do so. If you tell us
more about your situation, your kids, I think you might find more
suggestions tailored to your situation. In the meantime, I think books
that inspire kids to want to 'live like that' would encourage kids to
homestead. Analyzing my own homestead wishes, it was a combination of
girl scouts, visiting relatives with a dairy farm, family gardening,
reading LHOTP, The Boxcar Children, Swiss Family Robinson, Woodsmoke,
and other 'survival' type books, and of course learning about Native
Americans, 'Against all odds survival stories', etc. There are
magazines that teach primitive skills, and most have a kids section,
maybe not for 3 year olds, but certainly for 6 year olds. My son was out
looking for old porcelain toilets to learn flintknapping on when he was
that age. I never had a desire to be Farrah, just a desire to live in
Alaska like Grizzly Adams, to test my survival abilities like Jeremiah
Johnson, etc. Perhaps your children will identify with Laura Ingles or
take an interest in medieval times or perhaps want to learn about
ancient civilizations. I think getting that spark of curiosity, however
you do it for a 3 year old, is the key. I think the best thing, the most
practical thing, is for them to learn from you. Teach them to sew, to
cook, to bathe the dog, most importantly, or equally as important, allow
the kid(s) time to just be, to enjoy the grass, the woods, the stars,
the mountains, the oceans, etc...just give them time away from
television, traffic, radio, etc. Also, instill a respect for the
Earth-teach them not to waste energy or litter.

Bev