homestead - Re: [Homestead] How's your garden?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How's your garden?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:49:54 -0400

Robert Walton wrote:
Hey all,

I suspect that most people are busy at some stage of gardening. What
are you planting?

I won't post a list of everything because I did that a month or so ago. Basically, you name it, I'm growing it!
I've been trying to get my tomatoes transplanted into the ground before we leave on vacation,,,,I've got the 30 largest plants or so, with more still in the greenhouse that can wait until we get back. I have about 6 pepper plants in the beds/ground, but most are still in the greenhouse and will be put out mid May.

I set out 50 or so tomato slips yesterday, Brandywine, Arkansas
Traveler for slicers, Pittman Vally Plum, San Marzano and Heinz for
canners. Unlike last year, my tomatoes started well and I've got
enough plants left over for everyone on the road.

Me, too.
I've got Romas, Opalka, and Sausage for paste toms; supersweet 100 and husky red cherry toms, and for slicers I have Brandywines, Caspian Pink, Heirloom White(I hope), Mortgage Lifter, Abraham Lincoln, Mr. Stripey, and others.

Set out peppers sweet and hot also, maybe 10 hot and 30 sweet.

I love the chilis, but not the bells/sweets...

I put in a bed of Georgia Rattlesnake watermelons, Crenshaw Melons,
Ananas Melons, and a green fleshed melon. A few summer squash are in
and a good row of snap beans, I might put in another later, but
probably will put a couple of rows in in a few weeks for a big canning
rush of beans.

I have a few honeydew melons seeded, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow crookneck and a bazillion beans: Old Homestead/Kentucky Wonder, Asparagus Beans/Yard Long, Dragons Tongue Roma II, Blue Lake

Corn is going to be late this year, I'm putting that back in the field
that is crimson clover right now. I'll probably be planting deer and
raccoon food back there, but it's worth a try.

DH bought GE sweet corns: Peaches and Cream, Early and Often, Kandy Korn and I had some Silver Queen. Since all of the above are sweet and supposedly won't cross, I planted them in blocks side by side and have isolated that group by distance and physical pollen barriers. This group was planted early and is 4 inches tall.
I have a small 8x8 patch of Calais Dent corn that is now planted, but not up yet-anyday tho..., hopefully.
When I get back from vacation I'll plant Golden Midget, and then at the end of May I'll plant Bloody Butcher.

I ate a few radishes last night with some spinach mustard and goat
feta. Nice start, hope to eat a little lettuce in a week or two.

We've been eating salads and greens for a month now...I call it salads plus, because I throw asparagus, broccoli florets, sprouts, and all kinds of stuff in the salad.

Has anyone planted New Zealand Spinach? I got a few seeds from a
catalog. It sounded like a source of summer greens.

I grow it almost every year, and I have some seeds sown now. I planted Bloomsdale first, then filled in the gaps with NZ. I am patiently waiting for the Malabar Spinach to come back. I hope hope hope it does.

Bev

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/