homestead - [Homestead] How's your garden?

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] How's your garden?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:18:30 -0400

Hey all,

I suspect that most people are busy at some stage of gardening. What
are you planting?

I set out 50 or so tomato slips yesterday, Brandywine, Arkansas
Traveler for slicers, Pittman Vally Plum, San Marzano and Heinz for
canners. Unlike last year, my tomatoes started well and I've got
enough plants left over for everyone on the road. I hate not planting
them all, I've been caring for them for so long. But.. everything's
got it's limits.

Set out peppers sweet and hot also, maybe 10 hot and 30 sweet.

Thankfully, the heat wave ended on Monday, it's about 70 for a high
here, a little warmer this weekend. Chance of rain all weekend and
tomorrow. Would be a great time to get a good shower. Today is cloudy
and that's great, lets those slips get set in a little before they get
sun.

I put in a bed of Georgia Rattlesnake watermelons, Crenshaw Melons,
Ananas Melons, and a green fleshed melon. A few summer squash are in
and a good row of snap beans, I might put in another later, but
probably will put a couple of rows in in a few weeks for a big canning
rush of beans.

Corn is going to be late this year, I'm putting that back in the field
that is crimson clover right now. I'll probably be planting deer and
raccoon food back there, but it's worth a try.

This morning I set out a few flowers that I'd started. Don't forget
some flowers!

I ate a few radishes last night with some spinach mustard and goat
feta. Nice start, hope to eat a little lettuce in a week or two.

Has anyone planted New Zealand Spinach? I got a few seeds from a
catalog. It sounded like a source of summer greens.

Rob - Va