homestead - Re: [Homestead] How's your garden?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How's your garden?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:45:07 -0800

All of our fruit trees have bloomed and some have set fruit. We're doing a happy dance because the woman we bought the place from bought a bunch of trees and stuck them hither and yon and took the tags off all of them. They've set fruit, so this year we should be able to figure out what kind of apples and if some of these trees are apricots or peaches. Even the pear that we thought the late hard frost killed last year is all leafed out. Now, that is amazing because it didn't have leaf one on it last year. I pruned it way back, I mean WAY back and voila, this year it is growing again.

As to veggies, cold weather only as we can't count on not having frost until June some time. The strawberries, though, are loaded with blossoms and that is a good thing. Can't wait to graze my way through the garden <g>

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

I'm in Northern Pennsylvania, right near the NY border. The pears are just
starting to blossom; I hope they hold off a couple of days because it's grey
and windy today, and probably tomorrow. I can just see the color on the
apple flower buds. The Reliance peach hasn't bloomed yet. The new peach is
just coming out of dormancy. The old peach used to be the first thing to
bloom; the last couple of years the pears have bloomed first, then the
apples, then the peach last. Climate change? Or maybe the trees are maturing
and change their bloom time?