homestead - Re: [Homestead] How's your garden?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How's your garden?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:01:27 -0400

Robert Walton wrote:
DH bought GE sweet corns: Peaches and Cream, Early and Often, Kandy Korn
and I had some Silver Queen. Since all of the above are sweet and
supposedly won't cross, I planted them in blocks side by side and have
isolated that group by distance and physical pollen barriers.

You mean hybrid, right? Why won't they cross, or is it just not
important if they do, cause you won't save seed? I love Silver Queen.
Got some Stowells Evergreen for my quest for a OP sweet corn I like.

The Silver Queen has the Su-1 allele/gene. Some people consider it OP, but I consider it a hybrid. Su-1 is a dominant gene. The other varieties are GE corn, all have the se gene, which is sugar enhanced (recessive), su se. DH did not understand GE corn descriptions or know how to tell the difference at the time he bought the stuff. Se corn is pollen specific and should not cross with each other. I suppose it is possible for the Silver Queen to cross with the se's, but I'm not worried about that. SU and SE can be grown near each other, but not near SH2, which is the supersweet shrunken gene, or dent corns, of course. I'm not growing any sh2 corns, and I am time spacing and physically spacing the rest of the stuff I'm growing. I won't save the seed because I don't want to save GE seed or possible GE seed.

Limited time here, or I would explain further..just in a hurry..

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/