homestead - Re: [Homestead] How's your garden?

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How's your garden?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:25:33 -0400

> DH bought GE sweet corns: Peaches and Cream, Early and Often, Kandy Korn
> and I had some Silver Queen.  Since all of the above are sweet and
> supposedly won't cross, I planted them in blocks side by side and have
> isolated that group by distance and physical pollen barriers.

You mean hybrid, right? Why won't they cross, or is it just not
important if they do, cause you won't save seed? I love Silver Queen.
Got some Stowells Evergreen for my quest for a OP sweet corn I like.

> We've been eating salads and greens for a month now...I call it salads
> plus, because I throw asparagus, broccoli florets, sprouts, and all
> kinds of stuff in the salad.

I should have been eating salads for a month. One goal is to get a
raised bed for salad stuff started this summer and cover crop it so it
will be ready for planting this fall/winter.

> I grow it almost every year, and I have some seeds sown now.  I planted
> Bloomsdale first, then filled in the gaps with NZ.  I am patiently
> waiting for the Malabar Spinach to come back.  I hope hope hope it does.

Glad to hear you grow the New Zealand. I remember discussing the
Malabar last year. I did plant some regular spinach. It looks like
it's growing, maybe will eat a little.

Rob - Va