homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden on the mind

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden on the mind
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:39:13 -0400

> A friend here has her JAs in a grid, 16 X 16, a foot apart each way.
> Every year she pulls anything that comes up off an intersection. After
> 20 years she still has 16 plants.....works for her.
>
> Mine are in a patch (2 patches, actually, each different variety), and I
> just pull anything that comes up outside what I consider the perimeter,
> plus I thin the rest to each be about a foot from its neighbor.

Susan, I'm doing similar to you, just mine are now circling the herb patch.
I like them more for the flowers than the roots, I think.

I've got a container full of tubers that have started growing. I'm thinking
about planting them out along the egde of the woods in a spot. Maybe they
would naturalize and make good wildlife food or an emergency patch for me.
What do you think?

Rob - Va