homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies, was Michihili (very long)

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies, was Michihili (very long)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:50:20 -0400

Now that is a method I could definitely use here.
How large are your pea patches?
What kind of shell peas have you grown like this? Are you talking about
lima beans or butter beans or something like black-eyed peas? I need to
grow more small red field peas.
I love the Texas Fair brand of Field peas. When it comes to field peas,
I'm picky and no other brand will do.

Wow; I'm getting really confused. In the north, "pea" means English (shell) pea, or snow or snap pea...in the south, there seems to be dozens of types of "peas". I've heard of field peas, but I don't think they are grown much in this area. Can you grow English peas all summer in the south? I know that they do in England, but they have generally cooler weather, even cooler than I have here. I've heard of English 'marrowfat' peas (or 'mushy' peas) and I'd like to try them, but can't find a source.

I've made two plantings of peas (English...'Misty', and 'Lincoln'); the first one on 3/17 and the second on 4/1. Neither has come up yet, so I looked around for them. They have both sprouted and are at ezactly the same stage. Boy, you can't fool Mother Nature, huh? They will come up when THEY think it's right, not in relation to when I plant them. At least they didn't rot in the cold wet soil like they often do. I still have some 'Little Marvel' to plant.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA