homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden on the mind

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden on the mind
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:07:45 -0400

Robert Walton wrote:
I outlined the herb plot with Jerusalem Artichokes. I'm sure I'll regret
that some day!
A friend here has her JAs in a grid, 16 X 16, a foot apart each way. Every year she pulls anything that comes up off an intersection. After 20 years she still has 16 plants.....works for her.

Mine are in a patch (2 patches, actually, each different variety), and I just pull anything that comes up outside what I consider the perimeter, plus I thin the rest to each be about a foot from its neighbor.

They can certainly get out of control, even in this climate--a few miles from here there's a place that has completely given over it's front yard to them, beautiful when they bloom but not much use of the front yard....don't know what the back yard looks like.

On the other hand, I've twice had voles completely decimate them and so had to replant. Now I let the dog in there and they have so far not been so bad; the current plantings are 8 years old. I still have voles but they pretty much don't bother the gardens so much; I also throw dog hair in there when I get it (neighbor clips 4 dogs and I clip one).

SJ