homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethanol / Biofuel

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethanol / Biofuel
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 01:10:18 -0600

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:

> I also wouldn't want to add too much ethanol because the more ethanol you
> add, the poorer fuel performance you get in your vehicle.  At least from the
> corn stuff.  You're talking upwards to 30% less MPGs.

It doesn't matter what you make the ethanol out of -- corn, switch
grass, sugar cane, or whatever -- it contains the same energy, which
is much less (about a third less as Lynda says) than gasoline.

I'm far from an expert on this (especially on this list where experts
abound) but the problem with E85 has to do with corrosion and fuel
injection.

Marie