homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethanol / Biofuel

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethanol / Biofuel
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 23:37:28 -0500

I should say that I am not talking about use of a 50/50 mix all of the time. I understand that if one used it all the time, then you would likely get water in the gas and get corrosion problems. But say I wanted to take a trip, and wanted to use a 50/50 mix. That means 3 or 4 tanks of the 50/50, and then a week or so later, I am back to 100% gas. What would the harm in that be?

EarthNSky wrote:
I've been reading about ethanol and biofuels. I was actually more
familiar with biodiesel than biofuel. I read that there is E10 and E85
Ethanol biofuels, 10% and 85% ethanol respectively. I know that there
are flexfuel vehicles now that can run on E85 without problems, but what
about my trucks, regular gasoline pickup trucks, 1995 GMC Sierra, and
2000 Chevy Silverado. I understand that E10 should be safe and cause no
problems, but I have heard that if one made their own biofuels, you
could increase the percentage of ethanol to gas, maybe up to 40 or 50%.
What would happen to my trucks on a 50/50 mix of ethanol and regular
octane gasoline. Wouldn't it run better being a higher octane?
What would be a maximum ethanol percentage for my trucks?