homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethanol / Biofuel

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethanol / Biofuel
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:46:26 -0800

You'd need a convertor kit. Ethenol produces less energy than fossil fuel and your engine thinks it is being starved for fuel. Your engine lights will come on to tell you that your engine is running lean. Also, it is more corrosive than fossil fuel and in an older vehicle it will corrode fuel lines.

Now, other than that, the more ethenol you add to your fuel, the less MPGs you get from your fuel.

Well, unless you are going to use switch grass or some of the other high BTU generating stuff to make your own ethenol. Corn is a really dumb answer to the fuel problem. The only thing it is doing is making the corn growers richer and the taxpayer poorer!

I've been reading about ethanol and biofuels. I was actually more
familiar with biodiesel than biofuel. I read that there is E10 and E85
Ethanol biofuels, 10% and 85% ethanol respectively. I know that there
are flexfuel vehicles now that can run on E85 without problems, but what
about my trucks, regular gasoline pickup trucks, 1995 GMC Sierra, and
2000 Chevy Silverado. I understand that E10 should be safe and cause no
problems, but I have heard that if one made their own biofuels, you
could increase the percentage of ethanol to gas, maybe up to 40 or 50%.
What would happen to my trucks on a 50/50 mix of ethanol and regular
octane gasoline. Wouldn't it run better being a higher octane?
What would be a maximum ethanol percentage for my trucks?
--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/