homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fig Trees

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fig Trees
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:10:39 -0500

Jeanne,
Quick question for you, unrelated to the topic, but this is in my head
now. Do you pronounce your name Jean or Jeanie or Jian or Je Ann?
I've known you for years and it always messes with my head when I think
about you...lol..I hear myself speaking as I type and it messes me up. :)
Anyway, I have 3 large fig trees behind my house...hill with southern
exposure but protected by adjacent close ridge 100 feet away. That
means it gets almost zero sun in winter and it is kind of in a low area
on my property. We are zone 7A, closer to 7B than 6, but we do hit zero
every couple of years-it is not that unusual. The low this year has
been 4 degrees, and we have had multipe nights in single digits. My
figs are well established 40+ year old trees from Ison Nursery. I have
no idea of what variety they are, but my guess is either Brown Turkey or
Celeste. I doubt they are anything fancy, and I'd bet money that they
are Celeste based on leaf shape alone. They grow on a slope and are
rather hard to pick, so about every 3 years, I saw them back down to the
ground with a chainsaw. I try to keep them more like bushes for easier
picking than the 15 ft trees they quickly become. I don't think it is
possible to kill them. They have fruited every year, even when other
fruits were frosted out. They will often fruit multiple times a year.
I don't know what information you have been given, but old fig varieties
are really hardy. Your zone is 0 to -5, and I think my trees would
survive -20, I kid you not-they are that vigorous. It is on my list of
things to do to ascertain definitively what variety it is. Nowadays,
there is enough leaf and fruit information online that I should be able
to do it. They are delicious, productive, and worry free. If I did not
cut them to the ground, I'm convinced they would grow to 25 feet tall.
When we first moved here, they had been severely neglected and were
taller than the house.

Bev

Lynda wrote:
Do you have a space where you can protect it during the winter? I
don't really garden by zones cause our zone makes no sense. We are
supposedly 7B and since we routinely get continuous days before 10
degrees, go figure how they came up with 7B.

At anyrate, we have a Dwarf Black figs in wine barrels. DH built
them a mini-green house that goes over them come winter and I wrap
the barrel well and mulch like crazy.

The silly things are already leaving out this year and we just had
snow (some is still on the ground) last week. We'll keep them in
their greenhouse at night until mid-June and we put them back on
starting in September since we get frosts that early some years and
we rarely get frost warnings.

Lynda ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeanne Driese"
<jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>

I am searching for a fig tree variety that will survive outdoors
here in NE TN

--
EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia