homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fig Trees

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fig Trees
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:26:46 -0700

On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:19 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

James are you growing any figs?????

Yes, I'm growing a few called Chicago . . . They are not reliable and at best they are not remarkable, insipid until they are thoroughly dried. You have to add a lot of spices to the jam or it is
tasteless.

Don and I tasted some at a neighboring place this summer that were good. The trees do not die back in wintertime. We are in 6a zone. I have sent an e-mail to the friend there and asked for varietal name.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com