homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fig Trees

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fig Trees
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:12:38 -0700

Jeanne, from what you have written my vision of your place is a pretty steep hillside. Could you dig into the hill for the planting and have a simple pole frame that could be covered with a tarp in the winter? Bury the tree with leaves, etc., and cover the whole with something that can be tied down so windproof. If the dig into the hill is only large enough for the tree it should gain from earth temperature if so covered. A plant in a glass-covered small area has the danger of overheating in the sun unless it is well attended.