homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anti-hospital Rant

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anti-hospital Rant
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:20:50 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Since the list is slow this morning, it's time for a rant. My mother,
92 years old, fell on Sunday morning and broke her arm. I saw the
xray in the ER, and it's a bad break, jagged, and open, with a large
chunk of bone detached and off to the side.

She was admitted to the hospital from the ER Sunday afternoon, and
they have done NOTHING for her yet.

Many moons ago, I worked in a hospital as a cardiopulmonary tech. That
job entails working a lot with the elderly and people over 50 in
general. During those years, I saw a correlation between age and the
amount of effort and care one receives. It was somewhat of a
subconscious triage, and someone as old as your mother, sadly, would not
get the same attention for a broken arm than a 25 year old would get, no
matter what her mental/physical state is at other times.
Just my observation there,,,no real science involved. I don't think it
really even has to do with hospitals or Western medicine vs. socialized
medicine either. I think it has to do with human nature. The general
guide was to perform life support/CPR for one hour before 'calling'
someone. I've done compressions on a 5 year old for 2.5
hours(alternating with others), and I have seen 95 year olds called in
less than 5 minutes. With healthcare so expensive and apparently short
staffed, this triage of care may be more conscious now than subconscious.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius
will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the
world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone
are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve
the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge