homestead - [Homestead] Real History & Change - for me, anyway

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Real History & Change - for me, anyway
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:08:07 -0800 (PST)

Soon to be President Obama is about to leave for church this am. The
District is more crowded than anything I ever ever seen, on television. It
is sort of like when Reagan first came to office -- I didn't vote for him,
either-- with all of the excitement -- even bigger than with Reagan.

I like the idea that people are feeling good about the present and the
future. Much more optimism being expressed, this am, than I would have
imagined.

The fact that President Obama is black is not just incidental, for me. I was
well into elementary school when public school integration occurred where I
was reared. I'm not sure how easy it was for a black person to vote in my
home-town the year I was born. My family's Doctor's office, as a child,
still had black and white, separate, waiting rooms -- There were no signs,
that was already gone, but the people still separated themselves.

Though I have never seen a klansman or a race-riot or anything like that,
except on television; I did see 'what I saw', when I was young, as innocous
as it seemed at the time.

The societal and cultural change that I see with a black man being sworn in
as President today is truly astonishing.

I didn't vote for the man, and I still don't support the big government
policies of him, his party, or the republican party. I think the future will
show the direction we are ,probably, about to take to be monstrously wrong.

But , for today; I feel like our culture has shown some kind of dignity and
growth with this man becoming President -- no matter the color of his skin.
Im my own youth, had I considered the idea of a black man as President, it
would have been laughable. Today, it is a fact.