homestead - Re: [Homestead] pigs

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pigs
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:10:15 -0500

Pigs don't stink, given the option. Right now, what I am using for
pasture needs to be plowed and replanted, so mine just run with the
goats. That is not going to be practical after this year.

Electric fencing works really well with pigs. I have a solar fencer,
so it's easy to move them around in a small fence. If you close them
in a small area they will root it up and you can move them every so
often. Hog panels work well, too.

I've seen a raised wooden deck for raising them, but a hog needs to be
on the dirt in my mind. Hogs are good left to run in corn fields,
peanut fields, etc. after the harvest to finish them.

Hogs go off to one side of the pen to poop. Hog poop stinks. It's good
fertilizer.

There are lots of things that you can get hogs to do for you like
plowing. Pigs are smart animals and they need another hog or a
"friend". I do two hogs, but they are both part of the goat herd and
follow them around. I throw a little corn or acorns in the goat
bedding and the hogs do me the favor of fluffing it up, keeping it
dry.

Rob - Va