homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chigger WAS Anthropology -

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chigger WAS Anthropology -
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:17:07 -0500

Frank Fries wrote:
Did the google - very similar lifecycle and habits to the ticks we have here - except very tiny - bites sound somewhat like the ones from no-see-ums. I am starting to think our man-eating mosquitos are not so bad.

The article didn't mention one way or the other - are they seasonal.

The are not a problem only in the coldest of times. In places like Florida or south Georgia, you could consider them 'all' seasonal. Once, while camping on Blood Mountain in north Georgia, we had hot chocolate round the campfire. I made the mistake of sitting on a log that we rolled up to the fire. It was late November, just before Thanksgiving. I got chiggers to remember for a lifetime! That was 30 years ago and I recall it like it was yesterday. I'd say the low temp that night was about freezing..lol

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge