homestead - [Homestead] new subscriber -introduction

  • From: "Frank Fries" <frank.fries AT imagewireless.ca>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] new subscriber -introduction
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:56:35 -0600

We also are learning - we have had a garden for a few years now. A couple of years ago, I tried starting my own bedding plants indoors. It worked well. We started with just the regular, easy to grow stuff - potatoes, carrots, onions, lettuce, beans, turnips, tomatoes, etc. and my all-time favourite - strawberries.

Every year I try a few new things in the garden. Most things grow well here provided they have a short enough season.

I read with interest the problems people had with carrots - here, as far as I can tell, you just can't go wrong provided you don't seed them too deep.

I notice that a number of you are the South Eastern U.S. and it sounds like kind of hilly areas - I am guessing the soil is only so deep ? and not always really fertile ?

A couple of years ago, I finally got around to baking yeast bread as well (meant to for years) - 1st batch was ok (ish), 2cd was pretty decent - 3rd was good. Don't bake bread very often though.

Last year we canned our first tomatoes, dill pickles and strawberry jam. This year we also made a bunch of spagetti sauce as well (bought a food mill).

Just love to learn how to do stuff like that - only get so much time to though. I just love it when we make a lamb stew and everything in it was raised here - the lamb, potatoes, carrots, peas, onions, etc.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>