homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold weather, again, coming for some

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold weather, again, coming for some
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:51:48 -0500

It's winter, and we have cold weather. Make sport of Mr Gore as much
as you want, but even 20 years ago when we had winter it got cold and
stayed that way most of the winter. Ice storms were rare.

Absolutely. In the 13 years I've lived here, it's gone down to about -15 twice (just hit it and came up to near zero quickly). According to the locals (and the weather history) it used to hit -20 regularly and stay below zero for weeks. We now frequently have tee shirt weather in November or December; that's unheard of. Ice storms used to be rare here, too, but now we have a big one every couple of years. "Climate change" would have been a better term than 'global warming", although warming does seem to be the overall trend. We are certainly seeing records for coldest, hottest, rainiest, worst storms, or most people killed in a natural disaster, set regularly. I don't know if its a normal cycle or man made, or if we can do anything about it, but I don't see how anyone can deny that the global climate is changing.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA