homestead - Re: [Homestead] Alternative medicine = mainstream

  • From: "Gerald Brittell" <gabrittell AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Alternative medicine = mainstream
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:47:02 -0500

Lynda wrote:

Well, I'm glad it worked for you folks, Ray but keep an eye on it as it has
> caused a lot of folks a lot of trouble medically speaking and has caused
> some folks to have migraines that have put them in the hospital. I look
> askance at anything that claims to cure all the ills of everyone and that
> is
> the claim they are making.

I think this is certainly is true regarding any one substance or medication,
though I think there are very few illnesses that the body itself cannot
cure, given proper sustenance and freedom from poisoning.

Anyone with migraines might do well to check out the Gerson diet. As a young
doctor he suffered from almost total debilitating migraines and all his
research of the day's literature came up with the same answer. "Stay in a
darkened room and ride it out. When you get 50 years or so, the headaches
will pass." He decided he couldn't possibly wait and began experimenting on
himself. He discovered that when he ate nothing but apples, in all forms,
his headaches disappeared for the first time in a very long while. He began
adding one food at a time to see what it was that would set them off again,
keeping close records.

Now in his practice, when patients would mention migraines, he told them of
his experience, and his new diet worked for them as it had for him. The
next development was that some of these patients reported that other
maladies had disappeared as well, some of which he could not believe
himself, since they were considered 'incurable'. He asked for clinics who
specialized in some of these degenerative type disease he had had success
with, to send him his patients. He treated 500 patients that had a form of
skin Lupus that was considered incurable, and something like 495 were very
soon cured. He realized then that he hadn't discovered a cure for special
diseases, but there was a more fundamental, underlying phenomena being
addressed, mainly providing the conditions for the body to heal itself.

He gained respect in Europe treating all kinds of diseases before moving to
the USA. What is very interesting is his treatment here by orthodox
medicine and the American Medical society. At one point a prominent senator
introduced a bill in congress funding research into his methods of
treatment, given it's well documented successes. It looked like it would
pass until the President of the American Medical Associaion got involved.

In 1989, Charollete Gerson states that in California it was illegal to treat
Cancer by any means but chemotherapy or radiation. She said that one doctor
told her when she spoke with him about the therapy that more persons are
living off Cancer than are dying from it, therefore it probably never would
catch hold.

Of course this all is very serious business, with many quacks taking
advantage of the unwary looking anywhere for hope. Still, it is not
'scientific' or objective to shut out new evidence and discovery because of
vested interests and tradition. Jerry B