homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading on the beach?

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading on the beach?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:26:23 -0800 (PST)

Those 4 seasons sound similar to desert gardening here - except you would
have plenty of rain there compared to here.  Except this is my first year,
and I've only read about it in a book, so I didn't comment although I started
too.  LOL.  (And then was - well, what do I know?)

I used to live over in Ponte Vedra Beach (1/2 way between Jax and St. Aug),
and so far temperature wise there are a lot of similarities here in the
southern desert to there.  Temps are similar most of the time- except a tad
hotter in the sun in the summer, and winters are about 10 degrees cooler
overnight.

Before that I lived in Homestead - south of Miami - they grew plenty of crops
there and you wouldn't think the soil would grow anything, but it did.  Just
a bug battle down there.

Try getting something from the University around Tallahassee or Gainesville -
they probably have good info also on planting dates etc for your area.  For
my area, they even listed which varieties do best here.

I've been through 8 hurricanes, including Andrew, so if you're ever
threatened just hollar.  Best not to wait though.  Get a camp stove,
generator, and coolers before hurricane season, and non-perishables to eat.
When they hear you say fill the water in the tub it is actually used for
flushing toilets if you can't get well water up, and/or city water down, and
in a pinch for using for towel baths.  I lived without electricity/phone,
etc. for 4 months after Andrew - so if you just think from that point of view
you'll know what to stock up on.  The second longest, I forget which
hurricane, probably Katrina, we didn't have electricity for a month.  Wilma I
think was only 1-2 weeks without electricity.  Fuel is a must - the gas
stations don't necessarily have generators to get their fuel up.....

Ask that blog site if they plant much in the Aug planting up there.  In S.
Florida it would be a waste - way too much rain for most stuff.